Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Welcome Back, BlogStars!

Alright people. So, I have been out of the game for, ehh, a while. Apologies, apologies. Sleeping at the wheel. But, I've got my sea legs back so I am going to jump on my soapbox and get to work.
First issue: Does anyone remember my little story on the prospect of Ronaldinho (pictured above) coming to MLS?? Apparently, not only was it my number one searched for story, but people who matter were reading it. That's right. A story I predicted way back in December of 2007, that most people mocked me on, is getting greasy all over MLS. It looks like Ronnie is hollywood bound to come join the team Errbody loves to hate, Los Angeles Galaxy. Now it looks like David Beckham, Landon Donovan, Carlos Ruiz, and Ronaldinho will somehow all do math to become one single designated player for LA. 1+1+1+1 = 1?

Some major publications began reporting this, just as I had months back, but are now trying to say it is all speculation, and Ronnie isn't interested. It looks like the meeting will happen with AEG and Ronnie this week in Houston.

And I still say the story has legs, and should move with a little persistance from MLS and LA Gals. The new plan has LA offering him somewhere around $36 million per year (or 18 million in euro moolah). That would be with 18 for playing contract, $18 for image rights and sponsorship. Does anyone remember when I wrote this in December?

So if Beckham can yeild a return on the MLS investment of $250 million in five years through endorsements, why can't we go after Ronaldinho and pay him $20 million a year (most through sponsors) for 3-4 years?
No respect... anyway regarding all the hate on LA, it's justified. Sure. But why aren't the other clubs fighting to get stars too? It seems all too easy to blame LA for wanting stars, when our teams, like the San Jose EarthQuakes could be the biggest draw in the Bay Area with someone like Ronnie! Why aren't we offering 20 million a year for him? Don't we want to fill stadiums?
And don't tell me other clubs can't afford these players, because it just isn't true. These clubs all have millionaire investors and could pay for anyone they want, but they choose to low ball it. That's on them. Now, just imagine an MLS with Henry up in Seattle, Ronnie somewhere in MLS, Beckham, and Blanco. It's going to be a great league here soon, and I hope soon means now. Remember when I called this months ago? I am sure I'll never get that credit, ah well.

Who else do you people want in MLS? Who should the Quakes sign as a DP? You tell me, yoursoccerblogger@yahoo.com
Next story will be on the USA Men's National Team, and my phone calls, and emails with US Soccer's president, Sunil Gulati (pictured above, left). You don't want to miss that one... trust me, frickin idiot!

No comments: